Connect with us

Louisville restaurant owners applying for state relief money

Louisville restaurant owners applying for state relief money

This fund was named “Team Kentucky Food and Beverage Relief Fund” and it was created to aid smaller restaurants and bars in the state struggling to make it through the coronavirus pandemic. The $40 million grant was put in place to help restaurants and bars affected by COVID-19 restrictions between March 6 and Dec. 31.

Up to $10,000 will be given to an eligible business, and a maximum of $20,000 will be given to business owners operating multiple restaurants and bars.

“Reimburse expenses include rent, employee salaries, health insurance costs, inventory costs and personal protective equipment,” Gov. Andy Beshear explained Monday.

Beshear said nearly 2,200 applications had been submitted.

Antz Wettig, a co-owner of Zanzabar in Louisville, is one out of the thousands. She told WAVE 3 News business owners need the financial support and are thankful for the help, it’s still not enough to make up for what they’ve lost this year and continue to lose.

”I spent all day trying to figure out the financing reports to get the grant,” Wettig said “I mean, I need it. I’m grateful for any support I can get, but it’s just not enough. We need that every couple of weeks.”

Along with Wettig, Olivia Griffin, owner of Riot Café and The Limbo in downtown Louisville, said it’s not much restaurant owners can do with $10,000.

”Most of us are looking at rents and mortgages of over $2,000 a month, and I’m sure most of us have back-owed rents,” Griffin said.

Griffin said the only option now is to keep going and working with others in the service industry to keep serving Louisvillians.

”Tomorrow we’re actually launching a really cool, fun cocktail and bar bingo card program for the month of December,” she explained, “and we have 11 participating bars and restaurants who will all be making and featuring the same two cocktails for each week in December.”

Continue Reading
To Top